About the Office of Health Information Technology
The Honorable Albert Bryan Jr., Governor of the US Virgin Islands, established the Office of Health IT within the Office of the Governor to provide greater visibility and accountability for major health IT investments to include those associated with the Governor’s Healthier Horizons Initiative. The Office of Health IT will be at the forefront of the Bryan Roach Administration’s health IT efforts and will serve as a resource to the entire healthcare eco-system to support the adoption of health information technology and the promotion of Territory-wide standards-based health information exchange to improve healthcare. The following list outlines key actions the Office of Health IT will be responsible for coordinating and guiding:
• Coordinate and guide an aligned strategic approach on health information technology across public and private partners in the U.S. Virgin Islands to include the Health IT Taskforce.
• Coordinate the Health Information Exchange (HIE) efforts.
• Lead the major Medicaid Health IT investments and oversee the implementation of the 2021 Territorial Health IT Strategic Plan.
• Advance safe and secure data interoperability.
• Drive the implementation and maintenance of health technology initiatives across government agencies and the territory.
• Recommend Health IT legislation that supports the safe development and secure usage of health information technology.
• Facilitate collaboration across government agencies to coordinate and secure resources that can ensure high performance, consistency, reliability, scalability, and sustainability of all health technology offerings.
• Create curricula to build capacity, train and educate students and the current workforce in clinical informatics and digital health.
• Work with UVI, the RT Park, local physician practices and the business community to build pipelines to opportunities that will attract local talent and talent that wished to return or relocate to the USVI.
• Build and manage a detailed Implementation, identifying specific tactics and aligned efforts to facilitate the execution of priority efforts.